spintunes #9 round 4

Photo Finish - Write a song inspired by the public domain photo below:









(2 minute minimum length) (your submission is due Sunday, August 24th 11:59PM)

I actually quite like my song this round, so logically I expect to be placed dead last.

Here we have a photo of a pretty drab looking beach, which instantly reminded me of some of the drab looking beaches we have here in Northern Ireland. (We have some quite picturesque ones too mind you; that's where they film Game of Thrones). Looking at the picture made me a little nostalgic for times spent with people on said drab beaches in days gone by, which is as good a fuel for a song as any.

It's a mostly sort of factual account of a failed relationship; the nearby town to the beach really is probably my least favourite in the world, and Percy Sledge, more than just being a handy rhyme for 'pledge', was genuinely on my playlists a lot back then (I mean, come on...). I was little younger than 22 during the situation I was thinking of, but it's a nice number to sing.

The chorus entertains the idea that it would be nice to go back there and give things another shot because the sea has no memory or whatever (I couldn't place where I'd heard that, but Google reminded me it was in the Shawshank Redemption) and could grant us a fresh start. The little lyrical slight at the end ('to hell with that' etc.) was kind of my realisation that this stuff isn't even worth getting nostalgic over because, actually, it wasn't much fun.

The arrangement is quite dense. I even threw in an accordion part because somehow it reminded me of the seaside, and it seems to give a little Celtic flare to the whole thing. The film projector parts that bookend the song are some kind of metaphor for reflecting on the past, probably.

So there we have it. This is my first SpinTunes final and it's been a pleasure to compete this time around, as always. This is a pretty open ended challenge, so I hope to see loads of shadows on the album to hear how our minds all work.

ciao