spintunes #9 round 3

SCORE! - Finally! Your favorite book is being made into a decent movie! The producers need a title song to promote the film and hopefully win an Academy Award. You're hired. The song must have the same title as the book. (2 minute minimum length) (your submission is due Sunday, August 10th 11:59PM)

Tough one. I had a hard enough time trying to choose a book; I read quite a lot, but I'm not even sure I could name my favourite book, at least not one that could be made into a good movie. I decided to go with the novel I've most enjoyed recently, and that has undoubtedly been Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Here's a summary, if you're not familiar with it. Warner Bros. have actually bought the rights to this one, and the script is going though a rewrite at present. Wonder if they need a song...

Seeing as I'm unsure how the judges are going to approach this one, I thought I'd better make a case here and lay out my own criteria for the challenge.

The main thing I definitely didn't want to do was rewrite the book's synopsis in lyric form. A thing I've noticed with the best movie songs is that, while their content is obviously related to the movie in some way, they can stand as good songs in their own right. You don't need to know a thing about the movie for them to be enjoyable. You don't have to see The Wizard of Oz to get the message of Somewhere Over The Rainbow, for example. And My Heart Will Go On has fuck all to do with boats.

With this in mind, I wrote something that I think is generally vague enough to be enjoyed by anyone, but still captures a lot from the story; the abjection of 'real life', the search for an ultimate goal, relationships falling apart. All stuff people could relate to, as well as being the main themes of the book. Of course there's some overt references to virtual reality, but that's starting to become relatable too I guess.

But then, we also have to sell the movie with this one. I tried to sell it the only way I know how: with a HOOK! I think (modestly hope) I succeeded in furnishing the lyrics "Ready Player One" with a good hook in the chorus. Don't want people forgetting the name of the movie.

While the arrangement is mostly pretty standard pop punk fare, I threw some synth parts into the mix as a nod to the geeky 80s pop culture references that litter the novel. I know, I know, so clever...

Looking forward to hearing what everyone comes up with this time around.